Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
- 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1.25 oz whole wheat flour (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (I do not use)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil (Catherine’s recipe used canola oil) (I use coconut oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- I add flax seeds and chopped almonds to mine as well.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the oats, flour, coconut, brown sugar, chocolate chips, and salt in a large bowl, and toss it all around with a spatula until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the grapeseed oil, vanilla, and honey until smooth and combined. Pour this all over the dry ingredients, and toss all the ingredients together until the wet ingredients have evenly coated all of the oats. Dump the granola mixture onto the parchment lined baking sheet and shape it into a large rectangle that’s about 9×13 inches, and about 1 inch thick. I find the best tool to use here is a flat turner, to really press and compact the granola together, and square off the edges.
- Bake the granola rectangle for 40 minutes, until it’s golden and dry to the touch. Cool the granola on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes, then cut into small bars with a really sharp knife.
The bars will keep fresh for several weeks if wrapped individually in parchment or wax paper. Recipe slightly adapted from Catherine’s Weelicious Lunches.